Thursday, August 8, 2013

Desh, Videsh: India and America

Exactly 20 years ago to this day, my family and I first set foot in the "Land of Opportunity", America. We were here on invitation of the U.S Government, my father representing the Indian Navy. For 11 months, families from 33 countries including my own were guests of the Naval Command College in Newport, R.I.

My most vivid memories are of my mother in her silk zari sari with her bindi, happy, content and unfazed in the midst of Admirals, foreign dignitaries and women from all over the world; asking her why she wore a bindi and why she didn't eat meat. My father would shovel the driveway after the first snow storm and leave a path of his footprints in 2 feet of snow for us to follow. As a child it was always a game for me to try to place my foot in exactly the same spot, trying to follow my father's footsteps. Now those moments mean much more.

Because that year in Newport, my parents taught me to look for the commonalities in people. That everyone is essentially the same. And what matters in life is the “human experience”. To say that this was a life changing experience would be an understatement. For the first time in my life I was part of something bigger than myself. I became aware of my "Indianess" and I don't mean that in a bad way. But to realize a sense of identity at age 8 blew open the doors of the world to me. My best friends were from Morocco and Ghana. Play time was spent eating couscous and jicama.  I had lived through “culture shock” without even realizing it.

When I returned to India I was two distinct identities existing in one. For years my brother and I would joke that we were probably American in our past lives. We learnt that one cannot live life like a frog in a well. And that is what my parents taught us. I write this today as an ode to my parents. Not for their accomplishments and there are many, but to remember the life lessons they imparted. For life is about the people you meet and the memories you make.



Happy Anniversary, mom and dad! 37 years and what a grand life!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary indeed to the Parents who raised such a beautiful & sensible daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write beautifully! It's so easy to read and associate with some of the experiences you've had. and of course you have a knack of observing and remembering the little things that make your blogs so personal and unique :)
    keep posting more, will you ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Atish!you write beautifully ,only a good writer can romantacise with life,Keep them coming:-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Seema
    Both you and Siva write very well

    ReplyDelete