Sunday, August 10, 2014

Education and Practicality | Part 1

*Guest post by Husband dearest*

Even after spending 12 years as a professional software programmer, I am reminded everyday of the importance of education particularly, as we all look to start our careers.

I am not undermining high school education but the most important aspect I missed out when I was in high school and college, is that the lecturers didn't emphasize the practical use of the theorems, formulae, concepts etc.

I do blame myself for not being curious or persevering to find where I'd apply these learnings. It first occurred when I was optimizing a database query for my work project and when I searched online the fundamentals of SQL (Structured Query Language). This link just touches the tip of the iceberg.

We can see tons of articles like this one that point to practical usage of mathematics and science. Large trading algorithms are based on mathematical functions - I need to be more descriptive here but I'll let the reader dig the details.

So, for all those in your high school or pursuing a college degree - be inquisitive, persevere and push your teachers to help understand why you are learning whatever you are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment