Sunday, April 20, 2014

A Tip Through Saurashtra - Part Diu

My travel experiences would not be complete without mentioning the Gujarati Thali. Yes, I admit it. Part of my motivation to go to Gujarat was because I wanted to eat the deliciously fattening Gujarati food. After all, what's travel without food?

Everywhere we went, we ended up eating Punjabi food. It was true then, Punjabi food and culture had become Indian food and culture. I thought this was happening only in America and London, but I was wrong. I have nothing against Punjabi food, but I wanted to eat dhokla, patra and ghatia. Not paneer!

All my prayers at Somnath (one of the most beautiful temples) were finally answered. In Ahmedabad we had a beautiful Gujarati Thali at Athithi. They start out by placing a huge Thali with a zillion katoris. My stomach was growling in anticipation of the good food. I was tired of the Indian buffets in the US. Here I was being served by someone ever ready to place hot rotis and refill my katoris. Then the food arrived. A deluge of food. The snacks, then the vegetables and the meethi daal, the kadi , the tender rotis and the desserts that would make the main course jealous. If only I was one of those marathon eaters. 

Before driving to Ahmedabad we drove up to Diu. What a charming little place. If I were to describe it to someone I would say it is like Goa without the hype or the commercialization. The coast was beautiful, the people friendly. Our stay was relaxing and the beach was lovely. Apparently, Diu is a respite for all Gujaratis from the "dry" state. People drive up over the weekend to party, drink and eat meat. 
                                          View from the room in Diu.

If I were to return to Gujarat, I would spend more time in Ahmedabad and Diu. Over all it was a good trip but it lacked the splendor that the Golden triangle or Kerala have. I did get a chance to see the real India and it was a good reminder of the untapped potential.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment